Thursday 12 March 2009

Darwin and Buchanan Downs Station #2

I had four days off after ten straight days of work, so I went to Darwin avec Paul, who is another backpacker at the station. We had only two full days there, as it takes nine and a half hours on a coach (which also costs a lot of money) to get there. Long time. Thank God for James (for those not in the know, James is my iPod. Yes, I am that weird) It was lots of fun, it was good to get out of the station for a while and actually lie in past 6am. We went to the Museum and Art Gallery of the Northern Territory for a bit of culture, and then the pub, for a lot of drink. Speakng of which, can you, whoever is reading this, source out Coopers Beer in England for me. It's simply superb, and I am currently addicted. We did normal things, like shopping and going to the cinema and eating takeaway (that isn't beef)

Darwin is an awesome city, I highly recommend people to go there and see it. The crocodiles and the military history is so interesting. I advise you to visit.

So, now I've been back at work for five days now. Fun times have occured. Along with the general cooking and cleaning and basically doing the little jobs I have learned how to use an ancient front end loader, a grader and a Hino, which is a small truck. I've - I wonder how many people are going to laugh at this point - greased nipples on the grader and the front end loader as well. (Technical term - go here to see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grease_fitting) I laughed a lot, don't worry.

Furthermore, I've moved up in the world! To make room for the builders in the worker's quarters I've moved out of my room there and moved into the guest house, which is lovely with double beds, air conditioning and (this is the best part) no mosquitos!

[[For those not in the know, go to my facebook and see my mozzie bites. I had to go on anti-biotics to rid of the infection.]]

I live with Lionel, who is an awesome guy and my boss (sort of) He's really good because he understands that myself and Paul are just two pommy backbackers with no experience in this cattle station shizz and so explains and teaches, and doesn't get annoyed when you don't know what to do. It's rather cool. He also appreciates my 'I'll try anything' attitude.

A big shout out to my Mum, who is wonderful and lovely, because she posted a parcel containing two Cadbury chocolate bars (one Bournville - yum) because Cadburys does not taste the same here, a pot of Marmite because Vegemite is truly disgusting, and 80 PG Tips tea bags so I can have my builders tea! THANKS MUM!

Anyway, it's nearing 3pm, when I have to get back to work.

From your friend in the Southern Hemisphere,

Nic

xxx

3 comments:

Nacho said...

Bourneville is beautiful as is Marmite, you are truely right to thank your mum!! :D

Glad someone understands you though and that you no longer have to worry about the mossies!! Good times!!

xxx

Unknown said...

awesomeness! your job sounds great... so when are you leaving? maybe I can switch in when you switch out?!? I think I am going to stay here at least a year!

Jenny N said...

You don't like vegemite?!

Oh my, vegemite is better than marmite anyday!

Have you been drinking Milo? It was the drink of my childhood :D

Sounds like you are still having gooooooood times, I'll be seeing you in less than 2 months time! HOW IMMENSE IS THAT?! :D xxxxx