Friday 13 February 2009

Springbrook Farm, Goomeri

It's the end of the week and near the end of my time at Springbrook Farm here in Goomeri, an hours drive from Rainbow Beach. And it's been the most amazing week of my life.

At the beginning I wasn't too sure about all of it. The first evening, Monday, which we arrived here and settled in was an hour or so on the motorbikes. Now, the other four people here had already driven motorbikes before, and I had only been a passenger. So I was extremely nervous about it. As you friends in Cambridge will know, I am much more suited to a non-motored two wheeler. However, I was getting used to it, it was actually quite fun after a while. Though I stalled like a gazillion times and couldn't kick start it or drive off without releasing the clutch quickly and so it all went to pieces, by Wednesday, which was the second time we took the bikes out round the farm, I was flying about. Getting up to fourth gear, driving up steep hills and what not, I was absolutley loving it. So much so I am determined to get my motorbike license when I get home. Santo, the trainer here, was simply amazed when I misjudged a turn and went down a really steep hill and into a ditch with tall grass in (so you couldn't tell if there were logs or rocks in the bottom) and came out the other side ok. It was scary when it happened, but such a rollorcoaster thrill when I came out alright on the other side.

Now, moving on from the bikes, we go onto the chainsaw. Not quite as much fun as you may think. We were trimming down trees for room for a fence to go up and it's bloody hard work I can tell you, but good all the same. However, unlike the motorbikes, I'm not so much of a natural at it. Plus, it was absolutely tipping it down when we were doing it - so the moisture on my back was a mix of rainwater and sweat. (That's an attractive image for you just there ;) )

We also did many other activities, we did build build such fence that we were cutting down a tree for, which looked bloody good if I may say so myself. Basically, the wooden posts had to be alligned so we dug holes to adjust the posts already in place to make a straight line, as well as Santo pushing them with a tractor. The we pulled new barbed wire through the holes, in one hole we found a frog which made us laugh, and then strained the wire to make it tense. You feel such a sense of acheievement when you stand back and look at it and say 'I made that fence'

Ok, now we get onto the horses. We took them on two hacks in total, and the land and the sights and everything were simply gorgeous. I rode this beautiful lazy boy horse called Prince, who had two girlfriends named Duchness and Princess. People, I call out to you, come to Australia and do not only travel the East Coast. Go inwards and see the sights properly on horseback, it's simply superb, and this farm is only fifty acres and really hilly but oh my word, you cannot image it. When I nick some pictures from Veronika I'll show you. We also mustered the cattle on horseback too, which was fairly easy (I think the cattle know it's Thursday and so have to walk back to the yards) but it was fun all the same.

Now, the other motorised vehicles. Namely a tractor - so much fun on a tractor! We mowed the olive grove lawns in the tipping rain on a tractor and then with the bigger and older tractor we moved some hay bales with the front end forks. Also, I learned how to ride a quad bike, which is the easiest thing in the world as there's no clutch and you can't stall it (a winner for me, since that's my downfall) and good as I am going to be riding a tractor and a quad bike at my new job. But the final thing was that Santo allowed me to drive. He took us all onto a paddock a bit far out and allowed me to drive the ute. He sat in the front seat and taught me the basics of driving, though I can't brake and can't do smooth gear changes but still, I DROVE A CAR!

Furthermore, here is the best place in the world to live. All of our meals have been exceptional, thanks to Santo's wife, Jo, who has also been an amazing help in pushing us to call our perspective employers and making sure we are generally ok with ourselves and our wellbeing. She's an absolutely lovely woman who'll get along with anyone. Also, there are six absolutley gorgeous puppies here, which we can go and pet when we want. They're collie pups and I so want to take one home. Maybe a 50th birthday present for Dad eh?

We're all leaving tomorrow, and I'm actually quite sad to go. I really wouldn't mind staying here for a few more days with these people here. Not only the fantastic people who look after us and train us, but the people I've met and been trained with. There are five of us here. There's myself, and another english girl named Amber who is absolutley fan-bloody-tastic with horses, and is going to a horsing school in the Gold Coast to work. There's Veronika, a German girl, who's off to Alive Springs to work on a really big cattle station. Also, Pierre, a Niambian who's very lucky and had his job sorted by Monday and is going somewhere near the coast. And Dean, a South African who has his job in Western Australia in a few weeks and so is staying here to work and gain more experience until that time comes. After only five days of knowing each other we've become quite good friends and I hope we keep in contact! (*HINT HINT*) :P

As for my job, I'm going to a town near Tennant Creek in the Northern Territory, where I would probably die of the humidity, to work on quads and tractors cultivating and sowing seeds and what not. I think there's also work feeding horses and cleaning their stables. To be homest I'm not quite sure, because the job I was offered on Tuesday fell through today (which makes me what to slap the woman who offered it) so I was quite desperate for a new one, and this woman was keen for me to come on board also. I hope it'll all be ok.

I don't know when I'll next be able to come on tinternet - but don't forget to check this - you could be missing out on my new found amazing life.

Goodbye from Goomeri!

xxx
Anyway, it's our last night and we're watching a DVD.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Now don't you go forgetting your Brisbane and Rainbow Beach buddy!!! I am heading south to Victoria.

Fletchie said...

You in Tennant Creek - surely your mind can deduce some of the dody thoughts I'm having on that one :P

Sounds amazing - but riding a motorbike here is SLIGHTLY different and tres more dangerous. Drivers are bloody nutters and one bad move from them and you're splat!

But, er, yes, end of thoughts there - have loads of fun, obviously and can't wait for more details!

Fletchie said...

*cough That should be dodgy :P

angie said...

Sounds amazing!! Can't believe you found a place called Tennant Creek. And I have to say I now have images of you 'a la Bella' on the motorbike with Jacob running behind rofl

SAM said...

Lol. People get pretty Twilight themed images of you and Tennant Creek. I imagine you kidnapping David Tennant and keeping him in a basement where he is forced to play parts in crazy screenplays you have written. (I feel I should explain, I have manflu and haven't eaten or slept for nearly 48 hours so the old Imagination's going into overdrive)

You make me want to travel NOW. Can you please get job as a secretary in a boring museum next plzkthx.

Nacho said...

Iagree with Sam!! lol!! Just you remember to let him out for air!! :p

Can't believe you're out there! Hope you enjoy yourself!!

Charlie xx

p.s. Am very jealous btw!! :)

Nic said...

I think you forget, dear Samuel, that I infact LIKE museums. :P

Furthermore - you all need to say when you're going to be here - because I'll have to get the time off work. Exactly like at home.

Just email me to discuss it :D

Missing you all xxx

The Mole said...

Dad here....

Wales beat England at rugby though England did beat Italy last week. Thought that you would like to know that.

Motorbikes have been banned here in England. Gordon Brown has decided that they both are too un-green for a modern economy and far too much fun - and you know how much I dislike them. So, darling baby daughter, you will find it very difficult to become a biker babe once you have returned. Incidentally, the odds are shortening on you actually being on that flight back to the land of your father in July!

Lastly, I am sorting out your finances tomorrow (Sunday) and will get back to you once I have a solution. As you said, you need your dad as 'back up'. I am trying to be that. Bear with me here though you may need to send me the IBAN number. Ask if you do not know what it is.

Great to hear from you and I have got all of my friends and mates to log onto your blog. My colleagues at work are loving your wit and humor, my friends are amazed at your ability to summarize your time in Oz so succinctly and mates are stunned at your use if English given my known ability at being hopeless at our mother tongue.

How many fridge magnets have you collected for me? Also, I need an address to send you they stuff that you asked for....please advise.

Also, do you know that you can add to your blog via email and do not need to be able to log onto this site? Of course you did.....

Anyway, love you so much and crying here as I miss you....

Dad

PS Your room makes a great temporary store room and Ant has a new job... more of which later..

The Mole said...

....also need a phone number for you.....NOW!