Wednesday 4 February 2009

Queensland State Library

Blogging takes time, and for me on this computer, it is limited. You can probably tell by the title as to where I am. It's 4.41pm in Brisbane, and it all feels like a dream. Nothing is reality at the moment. It's not hit that I'm the other side of the world, on my own, doing my own thing - but yet here I am.

So, let's start from when I got through the passport control at Heathrow. I walked through, leaving the siblings and father behind to fend for themselves, and I wasn't sad (sorry folks) I felt good, I felt liberated. Something I had never felt before. No home-sickness. Nothing bad. Everything was just fine.

I found out the gate number (25 if you're interested) and wondered around for a bit. Looked in Harrods for bits and pieces, making a mental note to buy stuff when I come back through. (Georgina - maHOOSive bottles of Bombay Sapphire) Called a few people, texted a lot. Mustered all the strength I had to walk past a duty-free HMV. I then started to wonder to the gate, as it was nearly time for me to board. My stomach began to churn with nerves, like it does when major things have/are happened/happening. Called a few more people to calm me down, familier and lovely people. It was all a strange experience.

Now, the flights:

  1. Don't get a window seat in economy. You're boxed in by someone kicking your seat behind you and someone leaning back in their seat in front of you and a large smelly man to your left.
  2. It's so annoying that you have to walk through the better classes to get to yours - just to show you what you can't afford. Hmph.
  3. Aeroplane food - YUM. Seriously - give me more of that bad boy.
  4. Entertainment - there were good buits and bad bits. Finding Johnny Cash's Folsom Prison album was a winner - trying to watch Spiderman 3 was not. I had to turn it off when Peter Parker starts his emo-haired stance and dances down the road.
  5. Free alcohol - need I say more?

Everything was good overall - didn't get up as much as I wanted due to being boxed in but it was ok. I stupidly wore my contact lenses for the whole thing though, but my eyes feel fine now.

Tomorrow me and three other people are heading on a five hour coach journey to Rainbow Beach and hanging there for the weekend, which should be fun. I've met these other people. two girls, whom I share a room with tonight (at the Yellow Submarine, Corrina ;) ) called Lora and Amber and then a guy called Pierre.

So yes, this is my life in Australia so far. And it's dead exciting.

Oh - Woolworths is still live and kicking here - how cool is that?

Over and out from the land of Oz.

Nic xxx

7 comments:

SAM said...

That is SO EXCITING!!!

I feel like I'm there with you!! Travel blogs are an amazing idea.

It's basically raining slush here so pretty depessing. And my boss just emailed to say she can't get to work cos of 'weather conditions'! It's a bit of rain! What a fahkin liberty!

So basically you are missing nothing and you are a lucky sod

xxxxxxx

Fletchie said...

First off, yay! Flights are always a bitch - but I'm not a good flier and flying is a total bitch.

HENCE - Aeroplane food - YUM. Seriously - give me more of that bad boy. Er, what now? I'm the gal who sits with her head inside her t-shirt at this stuff. The stuff stinks at least from personal experience.

Totally agreed about Spiderman 3 - emo Peter - oh Peter, Peter, Peter. But at least if I go evil, I know what to do!

I admire your determination getting through HMV. And free alcohol? Why am I seeing bad visions here?

I was looking up Rainbow Beach on Google the other day, looks amazing! You better take lots of pictures!

And don't have too much fun :P

Claire

(P.S. - Someone's bought Woolworths over here I think...so it oculd be doing business when you get back!)

Corrina Gordon-Barnes said...

Oh wow! I love this blog! You write so well :) I'm so so excited, you're about to go to like my homeland. Give the Yellow Submarine people hugs hugs hugs from me and try to find a picture of me or a scribble from me on the big writing wall. I lived there for 6 months, this is just too bizarre.

Cxx

Spoon said...

Oh my shizz I'm so jealous...I love your new life :)

The highlight of my day was having someone tell me to 'shove those timesheets as far up for your arse as you can'. I'm so sick of people - they really are so fucking rude, and it's so SO unecessary.

I share your love for aeroplane food, I grew up with it from an early age - yumyum :)
Emo Peter = cute, but we've both established you have a SAD taste in men... :P

And ehem - aren't you meant to be WORKING out there? :P

Have lots of fun, missing you already and can't WAIT to come and visit :)

Love as always x

Spoon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Mole said...

Hi Nix,glad to see that you arrived safe and well. And having fun as well!

Keep up the blog by the way. I have read some on here and yours is brilliant - another thing that I am extremely proud of you for.

Talk soon?

Dad

Nacho said...

Glad you arrived safely! Have an awsome time!!! xxxx