Saturday 14 February 2009

Alice Springs

You all know the film Australia right? Nicole Kidman and Hugh Jackman? Good. Well, I saw it a few months ago with my favouritest people back in the Bridge, and thought it was absolutley superb. Now, remember how stunning the setting was? The proper Australian outback when they were driving the cattle north to Darwin? I thought it must be enhanced or something just because it was that spectacular.

However, it really wasn't. Now I haven't seen a lot of the Northern Territory yet. I only landed in Alice Springs an hour and a half ago (where I got the fire exit seats so extra legroom with the window :D) but even the fifteen kilometre drive from the airport to the town centre I was simply in awe.

The rolling and rocky hills, the red dust, the amazingness of it all. I can't honestly say I've seen a prettier bit of God's earth. It's beautiful.

In my last blog, I emplored all you people who are coming to Australia to come inland and really see the country, as I have now, and I am emploring you a second time. The backbackers hostels and all the buses up and down the East Coast are full to the brim of every nationality, apart from Australian. I found myself getting frustrated at the fact that the usual question and beginning conversation of people you met in thes places are, "My name is Nic, I'm from England - Where are you from?"

Not that I mind meeting new people, I've met some fantastic people from all over the world (German, South African, Niambian, Dutch, Spanish, Irish, Canadian, American, English, New Zealanders) who are just willing to talk and help you out and things and give you advice, calm your nerves about the next part of your journey. But I found when I stayed in Brisbane last night that it wasn't what proper Australia is about, that's not the lifestyle that keeps the economy here going. The bushfires in Victoria nor the floods in Queensland affect the backpackers, where as for the Aussies, they do.

I love that I've fallen into what I'm doing. What other way to see the Northern Territory then to work the land there?

1 comment:

TheChristmasAngel said...

Well done with the leg room - and mastering all the machinery (not just surviving it!) You are absolutely glowing, you are so in your element and it sooooooooo lovely to hear! Well done that woman! We love you! xxx