Friday 3 July 2009

Bundaberg, Fraser Island and Brisbane (again)

So it's the last leg of my trip. The very last, in about half an hour I'm going to make my way to Brisbane International Airport and catch my plane to Singapore, and then another to Heathrow.

XD

Exciting!

Anyway, for the past week I have made the final little bit to the places I wanted to see on the East Coast of Australia. First, I visited Bundaberg, which is a little town famous for it's sugar and rum. I did a tour of the Rum Distillery and had free tastings and all kinds of goodness. I'm now a convert to 'Dark and Stormy' which is Bundaberg Rum and Ginger Beer. Hmmm...nice. It's good, trust me. I only stayed in Bundaberg for one night, as the distillery is the only thing to do there, and believe me, that's enough. The hostel I stayed at was dirty and smelly and the bar was situated on the other side of the window, which meant I got no sleep. It didn't help that Micheal Jackson died that day, and so all I could hear was drunk singing of 'Man in the Mirror' all night long. But yet, this wasn't the worst night's sleep I've had in a hostel... but I'll get to that later.

From Bundaberg I caught the bus down to Hervey Bay, which is one of the main gateways to Fraser Island, and that's exactly what it was for me. The next morning I hopped on a ferry and went across to Fraser Island and saw some BEAUTIFUL things. Fraser Island is the World's largest sand island, so all it seems to be is sand, but then along with that you get amazing sand blows, freshwater creeks and lakes that are so clear you can see all the fish underneath. The roads are just sand, and the main highway is on the beach. Fraser Island is unbelievably pretty, and completely awesome. I met some good people there also, which makes the whole trip more worthwhile.

From Fraser I went back to Hervey Bay and then down to Brisbane for my last few nights in Australia. Here, I went to Australia Zoo! Home of the late Crocodile Hunter, Steve Irwin. Simply superb - you can get right up close to the animals, and the show was awesome. They explained the dangers of crocs and how to feed them and their general behaviour in different scenarios. though, it has to be said, the Irwin children, you just feel sorry for. It seems they don't go to school and just entertain at the Zoo. Poor kids. The Zoo itself though is awesome, very educational, worth $43 to get in (I claimed to be a student...which is half true...) However, I think it would have been even more awesome to go when Steve Irwin was there, that would have been incredible.

So, also in Brisbane I've done a little shopping and mainly relaxed ready for my looooooooooong plane journey ahead. However, going back to what I said before, I had one of the worst nights sleep here because - and I don't know if you would believe me when I say this - the guy, a nice guy called Toby, below me on the bunk one night decided to bring back a lady friend and well... you get the picture...

But anyway, my last few moments in Australia are disappearing quickly. But be ready for an immense post when I get home - which will be an overview of the whole five months.

Thanks for reading :)

Your Bundy friend,

Nic

xxx

No comments: