Tuesday 16 June 2009

Cairns to Darwin to Mission Beach


So a lot has happened since I last updated here. From Tasmania (still undoubtedly one of the most beautiful places on God's earth) I flew to Cairns. Easy, you might think, but however I caught three planes to get there. THREE! Honestly, that was the cheapest way... bloody Australians. Gradually I got fed up and annoyed because I saw the same demonstration three times, and was sitting next to fat people three times. Though, there was one consolation that on the last flight (Sydney - Cairns) I was one of the winners of a game the air hostesses played. We had to guess collectively their ages, and subsequently I won some pringles.

Cairns is what can only be described as a tourist town, and for this reason I didn't really like it. It's all party party party, and it's practically man-made for backpackers. I did go bungy jumping though, which was incredible, despite the burst blood vessels around my eyes from the impact into the water. I'd definitley go again if I can. Two jumps from fifty metres and an open bar from nine in the morning. Now that was cool. I also visited Cape Tribulation, and the Daintree Rainforest. Saw lots of crocodiles and tree snakes, had billy tea and a tropical fruit session as well as a full on Aussie BBQ with massive steaks. Yum.

Next I went to Darwin, again. I met up with Lionel again and we spent our time watching all the new releases in the cinema (Terminator Salvation - Christian Bale. Yum) and visiting bars and steakhouses along the main drag. Lionel even ate a 1kg steak in 25 minutes along with veggies and chips as Outback Jack's 1kg challenge. My week was fun. :)

Straight from Darwin, I went to Mission Beach, which is south of Cairns by a two hour bus journey. I'm typing this here, on my last night. I've spent a good few days here. Relaxing, drinking goon and meeting some awesome new people. I relearned yactzee (spelling?). But the best bit of all is that I went SKYDIVING!

Truly, one of the BEST things I've ever done.

Tomorrow I'm off to Magnetic Island.

Catch you all soon.

Nic
xxx

1 comment:

The Mole said...

Nix, I am constantly amazed at what you are doing...glad that the sky dive went well....the excitement here is watching The Jeremy Kyle show on Virgin's TV on Demand....you can think 'sad git' just dont write or say it!
Love you loads and will get to the bank as soon as I can
Love you Dad xxx