Saturday 9 May 2009

Farewell Northern Territory

It's nearing the end of my time at Buchanan Downs Station, and even my time in the Northern Territory, as from tomorrow I am making my way south to Adelaide to meet up with my best friend Jenny. There are going to be things I am going to miss here, and somethings I am definitley not going to miss, and so, I have decided to make two lists.

THINGS I AM GOING TO MISS:

  • the people, to put it frankly. During the weekdays here working was fun. We got into a routine and became a unit who knew what each other was doing and what we were capable of. Even though plenty of people have passed through the gates of the station, the unit adapted and changed with it. I've learned so much from the people here, including how to cook and drive a car, which I know I would have had to probably pay for back home. It's been fun, and I'm going to miss them.
  • Beef for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Toasted steak sandwichs with HP Sauce. Yum.
  • Being called a useless pom everyday of my working life.
  • Getting money and not having anywhere to spend it.
  • Eric, the yellow Nissan.
  • Lionel.

THINGS I WON'T MISS:

  • Being so far from a pub/shop/civilisation.
  • The weekends when the boss flys in and gives me bollockings.
  • Having to clean the single's men's shithouse.
  • Being so far away from friends and family.
  • Getting up at 5am every morning.

That basically sums it up. I feel like I've changed in a way, I've gained more experience but I no more confident then when I was back home. I've been getting that friday feeling, when you know the break is coming up but it's just not coming along quick enough.

My time here wasn't what I expected. It was harder, tougher and physically enduring. But on the other hand, I don't think I would have given it up for anything.

Despite the boss being an absolute cow.

See you soon, when I'm in Adelaide, South Australia.

Nic

xxx

No comments: